Sunday, September 9, 2012

The 30 Day Curly Girl Challenge - Week One


So I have been using the Curly Girl Method for about a week now.

The curly girl method was pioneered by Lorraine Massey in her book, THE CURLY GIRL HANDBOOK.  In a nutshell, you are co-washing frequently with sulfate and silicone free conditioners. Only finger detangling is allowed (no combs or brushes).  Your styler is normally gel.  You must allow your hair it air dry and keep your fingers out of it until it is dry in order to keep the hair super hydrated, and keep your curls frizz free and springy.

My thoughts so far?  I like it.  I enjoy washing my hair.  I find finger detangling very easy and I am losing much less hair now then I lost combing.  After just seven days I find that my curls are becoming more defined and they are clumping together better.  My hair is less fro-y and more curly.  My hair feels moisturized and touchable.  I am able to squeeze an extra day out of my washes by doing a twist out on day 3 and washing my hair on day 4.  Can I just say that my twist outs are coming out amazing because I still have eco styler gel in my hair and the hold is awesome!

There are some cons though.  My hair takes a full 24 hours to dry, and not touching my hair is driving me a little nuts.  I don't like how the gel makes my hair crunchy (though oil and a little more conditioner takes care of most of that on my second day).  I am used to my hair being super soft and in bantu knot outs, so this is a change.  Speaking of gel, I am using a lot of it.  Sure, its alcohol free, but it's still a lot of gel.  Its not adversely effecting my hair in any way, I just am not used to using that much gel personally.  And i think that because gel is getting on my face from shaking my hair, its making my face break out.

All in all, I am using a lot less products using this method and my hair is really changing.  

Catch up with me on week 2 for more results!

                                                                                                                                       -- Seven 

No comments:

Post a Comment