Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Cubicle Can't Hide My Fro


When I big chopped, there was a big too doo about it at work.

Some people loved it:  "I love short hair on you".
Some people ignored it.
Some people stared at it.
Some people just wanted to touch it.
They compared it, "You look just like Esperanza Spalding!" 
Questioned it, "Where did your hair go?... I know sometimes you people like to hide it in there".
Hated on it, "Why did you cut all of your hair off?!"
And wondered about it, "Is she about to rise up and overcome?  How will that effect her productivity?  How can she fit her headset over her hair?"

It was no biggie.  I was used to all of the hair questions from my co-workers.  When I had a phony pony it was, "How did you get your hair to grow so long so quickly?"  When I had braids it was, "How long did that take?  Did you do it yourself?  Did it hurt?  Whose hair is it?  How do you wash it?"
And now that I'm natural it is, "So, when are you going to do your hair?" or "You want to color your hair?  I thought that you were natural"  or "Why do you have so many hair products?  So much for being natural".

Honestly, I did not know that people had so many strong opinions about my hair.  Half these people don't even say Good Morning, and now they want to make comments about my hair style?  It was off putting, to say the least.

Yes, once you go natural, or do any sort of change to your hair for that matter, everyone becomes a Hair Reporter.  They want to know who, what, when, where, why and how.  But, it all must be handled with grace and a smile, less you become the ABC (Angry Black Co-Worker).  Here is how I handle common hair questions from people who, lets face it, just don't understand:

Why did you cut your hair?  I wanted to wear my hair without a relaxer, so I cut it.
When are you going to do your hair?  It is done.  This is called a twist out/bantu knot out/two strand twist/afro puff style.
You can't color your hair, your natural!  Being natural just means wearing your hair without a relaxer in it.  It has nothing to do with hair color.
Why do you use so many products?  I thought that you were natural!  I really only use variations of the same 3 products (conditioner, shampoo, and moisturizer).  I shampoo, condition, and moisturize my hair, just like you do.
I don't like your hair!  That's funny, because I don't like you.

So what about you?  How do you deal with natural hair questions and comments in the workplace?
-- Seven

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed.
    Common Hair Questions​

    ReplyDelete