Sunday, August 19, 2012

Five Secrets To Keep Your Hair Moisturized

 By Seven


     My Relaxed Days
How come when i was relaxed, I barely ever had to moisturize my hair?  I greased my scalp sometimes, but I don't remember ever having a regimen.  I went every two weeks to the beauty salon and they never said that my hair or scalp was dry.  My hair didn't look dry.  I wrapped it some times, but not every night.  I combed it down with a fine tooth comb, sprayed some oil sheen on it, and walked out of the door.  No silk scarves, no satin pillow cases, nothing.  And yet, my hair seemed to be in good health.  My natural locks... not so much.

When I big chopped, I wish that I knew that I had to actually put work into keeping my hair moisturized.  Would that have swayed my decision?  No, but I would have been better prepared.

Anyhow, after weeks of trial and error, I have found a way to keep my hair moisturized, and now I would like to share that process with you:


Always Sleep With My Hair Wrapped in a Satin Scarf or Sleep on a Satin Pillowcase

Miss M's Satin Cap

Cotton tends to rub the hair and make it frizzy and dry.  Satin glides over the hair instead.  Not only does this practice keep my hair moisturized and frizz free, but it also keeps my daughters braids looking less frizzy longer.  For the nights that she doesn't want to keep her satin scarf on, she at least has the satin pillow case.  She has since fooled me and started sleeping on the wrong side of the bed (i.e feet on the pillow).  Oh well, you do the best you can.




The LOC Method

Oh My Goodness.  This has saved my life!  The LOC method is the single greatest thing (besides bantu knots) that I have discovered since becoming natural.  LOC'ing is a way to keep your hair moisturized longer.  

LOC stands for liquid, oil, cream.  My liquid is normally freshly washed, dripping wet hair followed by GIOVANI DIRECT LEAVE IN CONDITIONER.  This stuff is the truth!  It really softens up my hair, its not heavy, and it smells good.  A word of caution, it can leave your hair whitish if you use too much, but I use about a quarter size amount for my hair.  If I go overboard with it (as I sometimes do) I just ring my hair out with a T-Shirt and that eliminates the excess and the white residue.  

My oil is Grapeseed oil in the summer, and will be Coconut oil in the winter.  Why do I have two different oils?  Simple, I cant stand it when coconut oil melts.  Plus I refuse to put it in the refrigerator.  Which one do I like better? I prefer coconut oil.  I think that it keeps my hair softer, stronger and I prefer the smell.  Maybe I can melt the coconut oil, put it in an applicator bottle, and use it that way?  Hmmm... I like that idea.  Anyway, onto the cream.  

Like my oil, I have two creams, a winter and a summer.  In the winter, I will use my Shea Butter Whip.  In the summer I use Burnt Sugary Pomade by Oyin Handmade.  I feel like glycerin dries my hair in the summer humidity, so I reserve my Shea Butter Whip for a deep conditioner in the summer months (Deep Conditioner recipe coming soon).  The Burnt Sugary Pomade smells like caramel and it really helps keep my hair's moisture from floating away into never never land. Soft hair and candy smells all day?  Yes please!

Deep Conditioning

I deep condition one or two times per week.  My motto is, WHEN IN DOUBT, DEEP CONDITION.  If my hair is in twist, I will deep condition before putting them in and after taking them out.  If I am wearing an OUT style (braid out, twist out, bantu knot out, puff) then I deep condition twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday).  For my midweek deep conditioner, I will normally use either Aussie 3 minute miracle or Tresemee Naturals Conditioner.  Either way, I mix them with some Olive Oil and let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes before rinsing it out and co-washing it again for good measure.  My DEEP deep conditioners I let sit overnight.

Refresher Spritz

I have a refresher spray bottle for when I need that extra boost midweek.  It's about a quarter bottle of olive oil and the rest is water.  I shake it before I spray to make sure that I am getting a good mix.  Shea Moisture Hold and Shine is good for this as well.

Diet

I will be the first to admit that my diet is not the best, but I do try to drink about 64 ounces of water a day (and I succeed most days).  I also try to eat a lot of green veggies with dinner.  I believe that this helps keep my hair and body healthy.


There you go.  My secrets for moisture.  I'm sure that as my hair grows, some of this will change.  But for now, this is what it is.

So tell me, what are your moisture secrets? 

--Seven

No comments:

Post a Comment